- Things to Do
- Where to Stay
- Dining & Nightlife
- Plan Your Trip
Flagstaff, Arizona, a picturesque city nestled amid the ponderosa pine forests of northern Arizona, has long been known for its scenic beauty, historic charm, and thriving arts scene. Beyond these attractions, it has also cemented its reputation as an ideal destination for hosting meetings, conferences, and events.
It’s little wonder that Flagstaff is such a renowned destination. The same wonders that make the region a draw year-round for leisure travelers are a dream come true for planners. If the goal is to inspire awe and imagination from attendees—as it almost surely is—then this is the place for you. Oh, and did we mention the one and only Grand Canyon is one of seven epic experiences planners can only find here?
And while Flagstaff may seem too good to be true, it’s remarkably easy for attendees to come judge for themselves. With accessibility via air and ground via major highways, Flagstaff’s convenience may be the most popular aspect of this business trip of a lifetime, whether it’s an association meeting, a corporate gathering, or an incentive program.
Here are several reasons Flagstaff stands out as a wonderful event destination:
1. Natural Beauty & Outdoor Activities: Surrounded by mountains, forests, and the iconic landscapes of the American Southwest, Flagstaff provides an enchanting backdrop for any event. The Grand Canyon National Park, national monuments, and the San Francisco Peaks located in northern Arizona are popularly known as the City of Seven Wonders. Best yet, each memorable destination is within 10 to 80 miles of Flagstaff. Attendees can marvel at the views, take a break with a nature walk, or even extend their trip to see all seven wonders. This natural setting often translates into increased attendee enthusiasm, engagement, and attendance.
2. State-of-the-Art Facilities: Despite its small-town ambiance and Mother Nature’s gifts, Flagstaff boasts contemporary conference centers, hotels, and meeting facilities equipped with the latest technology. Venues to know include:
The High Country Conference Center offers a blend of modern amenities within a setting that reflects Flagstaff’s rustic elegance. Found on the campus of Northern Arizona University, the center has 17,478 square feet of flexible meeting space that can be configured into 16 meeting rooms. The center is attached to a Drury Inn & Suites with 164 guest rooms.
The Little America Hotel, with 13,770 square feet of event space, can be configured into 10 meeting rooms and has 247 guest rooms.
The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Flagstaff has 183 guest rooms and features 6,243 square feet of space that can be configured into seven meeting rooms.
The High Country Motor Lodge sports 4,500 square feet of event space, including a 1,543-sq.-ft. meeting room.
The eagerly anticipated expansion of Lowell Observatory Astronomy Discovery Center, featuring a ballroom and both indoor and outdoor theaters, is set to captivate audiences when it unveils in the fall of 2024. Groups eyeing stargazing will want to closely watch the progress of this development.
3. Unique opportunities: This mountain town, located at a cool 7,000 feet, is the world’s first International Dark Sky City and is also in the world’s largest contiguous ponderosa pine forest surrounded by Native American culture.
Flagstaff’s special wild places include the Coconino National Forest, San Francisco Peaks, Grand Canyon National Park, Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument, Wupatki National Monument, Walnut Canyon National Monument, and Oak Creek Canyon. A trip to any of these sites would be an exceptional team-building experience, whether you opt to explore the depths of the Grand Canyon, peer through 800-year-old pueblo windows, or scale a mountaintop for an achievement filled with symbolism.
Beyond the wonders, consider spinning classes that come to you, conquering a high ropes course and zip lining, or taking a brewery tour.
4. Stellar Stargazing: As the world’s first International Dark Sky City, Flagstaff takes light pollution seriously. Post-conference activities can include stargazing sessions, planetarium visits, or trips to the renowned Lowell Observatory. There isn’t a better destination in which to take advantage of the skies—it’s OK to be starstruck here.
5. Diverse Culinary Scene: From traditional Southwestern dishes to international cuisine, Flagstaff’s restaurants and catering services offer an eclectic mix of dining options—perfect for large group gatherings or private dining and post-meeting networking. Attendees can indulge in gourmet meals, local brews, and unique culinary experiences across 200 establishments that reflect the region’s diverse influences. The nine local craft breweries comprise stops on the self-guided Flagstaff Brewery Trail. Be sure to enjoy the trail responsibly.
6. Historic Charm: With its historic downtown, vintage railroads, and a rich Native American heritage, Flagstaff exudes an old-world charm that’s hard to find. Venues often incorporate this history, providing an authentic Arizona experience.
7. Season’s Greetings: Flagstaff’s elevation gives it a much cooler climate than much of Arizona. In Flagstaff, uniquely Arizona with four seasons, outdoor enthusiasts enjoy perfect temps for summer hiking or biking, beautiful fall colors, winter sports, and spring wildflowers. This means meetings can be held during times of the year when other parts of the state might be prohibitively hot. The mild summers and snowy winters offer diverse experiences for event attendees.
8. Ease of Access: Flagstaff is conveniently located near major highways and has its own airport, the Flagstaff Pulliam Airport. Daily nonstop flights are available to/from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport and Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport on American Airlines.
Moreover, the city’s compact nature ensures that venues, accommodations, dining, and entertainment options are often within walking distance or a short drive of one another. Every aspect of the city screams out to be explored.
9. Affordability: Compared to major metropolitan areas, Flagstaff offers competitive pricing for venues, accommodations, and services. Budget-conscious planners can deliver quality events without the hefty price tag. Most importantly, you won’t sacrifice on the experience! Be sure to click here to take advantage of an offer to receive 3% back on contracted room nights. It pays to meet in Flagstaff!
10. Local Support & Hospitality: The Discover Flagstaff team and local businesses often collaborate to ensure that events are a success. From planning assistance to promotional materials, planners can expect unparalleled support in organizing their event.
Flagstaff, Arizona, combines natural splendor, modern amenities, and cultural richness, making it a top-tier destination for meetings and events. Whether it’s a corporate retreat, an academic conference, or a festive celebration, Flagstaff promises a unique and memorable experience for hosts and attendees alike.