- Things to Do
- Where to Stay
- Dining & Nightlife
- Plan Your Trip
For nearly 30 years, multiple editions of The Travelers’ Green Book provided African Americans with advice on safe places to eat and sleep when they traveled through the Jim Crow-era. Within this self-guided Flagstaff tour, various locations are highlighted that were included in the Green Book editions.
Experience a self-guided tour on foot, by car, or bike.
Tip: By car, the tour takes approximately 30 minutes and the walking tour is approximately 90 minutes. For convenience, it is recommended to start at the Flagstaff Visitor Center (1 E. Route 66) as it's most central to begin and end the tour. This tour is also perfect for bike riders!
(previously Stroud Hall) – 695 Knoles Dr.
Located on north campus, this building was built with a dual-purpose to serve as a motel and dormitory because neighboring Arizona State College (now Northern Arizona University) was expanding its enrollment and needed more space for students. This site is located behind stops #2 and #3.
702 S. Milton Rd.
Golden Drumstick is located on west Route 66 and south Milton Rd. The Golden Drumstick location evolved into different businesses and included The Gables Restaurant. Through early 2019, it operated under the name Mandarin Buffet, and now stands unoccupied awaiting a redevelopment. The Park Plaza Motel was located to the left of the Golden Drumstick.
702 S. Milton Rd.
The Park Plaza Motel lay on the east side of Route 66, north of the intersection of West Route 66 and S. Milton Road (Highway 89). Ultimately, most of it was torn down to become parking for a neighboring restaurant – The Golden Drumstick. Today, this area is fenced for future development.
701 S. Milton Rd. | Books: 1958-64
Offering 55 air conditioned units and located on historic Route 66, this parcel can be experienced as a location-only, with new construction providing for Barnes and Noble Bookstore.
701 S. Milton Rd.
Located near the Y on historic Route 66 and Milton, The Flamingo Motor Hotel was notably known for its impressive neon sign, which in its time, rivaled Las Vegas neon. The Flamingo forged memories as it became wildly popular as the sign went without repair and embraced the missing “o.”
404 W. Santa Fe Ave. | Book: 1952
Just north of the underpass on Santa Fe, this motel operated with 30 units. Today, the parcel has been remodeled and serves as an apartment complex located one block west of Flagstaff City Hall at the cross streets of Santa Fe and Sitgreaves.
19 W. Phoenix Ave. | Book: 1952
Motel DuBeau remains open for business and is intriguing and more charming than ever. The monumental sign lights up nightly on Beaver Street and Phoenix Avenue which attracted Route 66 motorists to its modern motel rooms and heated garages. The DuBeau opened in 1929 and is among the city’s first motor courts.
211 S. San Francisco St. | Book: 1952
Adorned with native Malapais rock, this location remains in place and is located adjacent to the Flagstaff Rock Climbing gym on the south side of the tracks.
203 E. Brannen Ave. | POINT OF INTEREST
The Murdoch Community Center was built in 1927 for Flagstaff’s Black community as the Dunbar School. Over time, most of the school was demolished for the creation of Butler Ave., but the remaining structure was re-named in the 1970’s in honor of Mrs. Cleo Murdoch, a teacher and President of the Dunbar school. It functions as a historic cultural center for the education, preservation and celebration of Flagstaff’s Black cultural heritage.
19 S. San Francisco St. | Books: 1957-59
Located on the original Route 66, The Nackard Inn exists today as the Downtowner Motel and has operated under a series of names including The Down Towner Auto Court in the 1920s. The Motel remains open and continues to welcome overnight guests.
122 E. Route 66 | Books: 1949
Mass transportation via road and railway were popular in Flagstaff, and the Greyhound bus station was no exception. Located today on historic Route 66, the building remains in its original footprint and is occupied by Arizona Music Pro.
WC Riles was the first Black student at Northern Arizona University, then named "Arizona State Teachers College at Flagstaff." He went on to earn his master's degree and later became a teacher and then principal at Dunbar School. Earlier, Riles was part of the Army Air Force during World War II.
106 S. WC Riles Dr.
The Elks Order is said to have descended from the Free African Society, the first formal Black society in America. When traveling or moving to a new city or state, Negro people would seek to find an Elks Lodge for dining, lodging assistance, and trusted guidance and advice while traveling.
This Flagstaff site operated as an Elks Order until 1946, and continued its service upon relocating to San Francisco Street.
At the intersection of Route 66 and Clay, enjoy a bit of Americana via a 35' mural of a cow on Natural Grocer's storefront.
NAU mascot, Louie the Lumberjack, is "ginormous" and a perfect spot for selfies. He can be found northeast of tour stop #3.